Guide to the De-identification of PHI
Offering compelling practical and legal reasons why de-identification should be one of the main approaches to protecting patients’ privacy, the Guide to the De-Identification of Personal Health Information outlines a proven, risk-based methodology for the de-identification of sensitive health information. It contextualizes this risk-based methodology and provides a general overview of its steps.
The book supplies a detailed case for why de-identification is important as well as best practices to help you pinpoint when it is necessary to apply de-identification in the disclosure of protected health information.
- Outlines practical methods for de-identification
- Describes how to measure re-identification risk
- Explains how to reduce the risk of re-identification
- Includes proofs and supporting reference material
- Focuses only on transformations proven to work on health information—rather than covering all possible approaches, whether they work in practice or not